Sunday, September 13, 2009

MENTAL TOUGHNESS










[Unfortunately, not all roads are so clearly marked.]








COMMENTS FIRST

* My wife was surprised to find out that even I need to "pump" myself up to go workout. I love working out (sometimes I've been accused of loving it too much). Yeah, I get that "high" many talk of an experience and when it is really good, it keeps me coming back. I love knowing that I have a set goal in mind; be it for the day, week, or month. I plan ahead so that I know exactly what I'm going to do before I unlatch the pad lock on my garage gym. However, life happens and even a guy like me need a little motivation.

* Take yesterday's session, for example. I woke with at least four 24kg C&P ladders and a hefty bit of 32kg swings staring me in the face. My goal was to get it done as soon as I woke up, but as I said before, life happens. Yesterday life happened by way of cleaning the house, walking the dog, watching UT beat Wyoming, and taking a power nap w/ the head of my 150lb mastiff on my chest (he needs his power naps).

* Getting a late start on training put an even bigger wall in front of me, but I knew that I would hate myself for skipping it. More importantly, it would be like taking a step back from my progression. Fuck it! I sipped my last bit of white tea, donned my bandanna, and gave it 100%.

* I pushed myself and came out on top. I beat my C&P/Ring Pull Up stats. from last weekend by completing 4 (1,2,3,4,5) of both and I manhandled the 32kg swings much better than I had anticipated.

* The 80/20 Rule and Mental Toughness. I read somewhere that success in training is 80% mental and 20% physical. I can attest to that. I had to psyche myself UP hitting the gym more than I was trying to talk myself out of working out. I envisioned my self pressing with ease, pulling the rings down to me, and swinging the bell like it was lighter than air. Let me tell ya; IT WORKED BROTHA!

* You have to know that you can and will before you just "try."( thanks Yoda). How does the Iron Tamer drive a nail through a piece of wood with his bare hands? He KNOWS that he can. How do the stranded last for weeks with little food, water, or chance for survival? They do not despair and KNOW they can survive. Mental toughness has its place in the gym, field, andarena, but also in every day life.

WARM UP

50 JRopes w/ 3/4"
5 Dbl KB Sqts w/ 2x16kg
10/10 Halos
3 Pumps

STRENGTH (w/in 35 min)

C&P 1,2,3,4,5
         1,2,3,4,5
         1,2,3,4,5
         1,2,3,4,5
* all w/ 24kg

Ring Pull Ups 1,2,3,4,5
                      1,2,3,4,5
                      1,2,3,4,5
                      1,2,3,4,5

CONDITIONING

50,40,30,20,10 KBS w/ 32kg
10,20,30,40,50 Sledgehammer Chops w/ 8lb Hammer

* finished in 11:40:00
  

No comments:

Post a Comment