Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Very Few Things Are Original, Most Things Are Inspirational


I need to give credit where credit is due. I didn't come up with the idea to track my thoughts and progress on my own. Meet Eric J Moss, RKC of Rockbody Fitness. Take a look at the picture above. That's Eric after a recent RKC cert. course in San Jose . He had reason to celebrate, for he had come to the end of a long journey where he found himself among the Elite in kettlebell training. Eric J. Moss, RKC has just taken flight. I am read to spread my wings.
I followed Eric on his blog, ericjmoss.com, as he prepared for the RKC. Through his words, Eric showed the kind of heart, determination, planning, blood, sweat and tears it took to achieve greatness. I haven't asked him, but I feel that charting his course on his blog probably played a big role in him making it through the RKC.
If you write about it, discuss it, it becomes real and possible. Maybe it'll do the same for me. Hell, its only been a day and already I feel 100% more motivated than I did two days ago. Something is working.
A while back, Eric and I had a short conversation, through email,l concerning different kettlebell certification courses. I was going back and forth between the RKC and a few other notable certifications, but really hadn't made a choice. At the time, money was a big deciding factor. I was of the mind set that I could go for a cheaper, but valuable, version and move on from there. Eric told me I should consider that many of the well known kettlebell instructors have roots in the RKC program. Anthony Diluglio, Mike Mahler, and Steve Maxwell are just a few of the great instructors that are out there that have since broken away from the RKC to develop their own training systems. I couldn't argue with that.
So, if you read this Eric, thanks. Your blog and that last email conversation we had really helped me decide which road to take.
If you're interested in talking with Eric and learning about his training methods visit his sites at rockbodyfitness.com and ericjmoss.com. You can also subscribe to his YouTube channel. He is an extremely knowledgeable and approachable trainer.

2 comments:

  1. Comrade Doug
    I appreciate the kind words and wish you good luck on your journey. As proud as I was to have accomplished that and after you realize that all those hours had been put in for that single moment (and it was the spartans how cool is that?) I don't even think I truly understood what it was to be an RKC until I went out to dinner that night with some of the vets and some of my new comrades as I saw some of the classiest people I had ever met in my life there. When you get here you'll understand just like I do. Which one did you sign up for? Maybe I will be able to assist.
    And I do have a new project brewing that I would like you to be a part of. Not quite as "nice" as RBF. Its going to be cruel and evil and I have a feeling its going to be right up your alley.

    Eric Moss RKC

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have my sites set on Sept., but it is going to depend on how prepared I feel. "Iron Phoenix", was created b/c I am need to build a better foundation with kettlebells. Once I started really getting into KB training, I too got to excited and tried to progress too quickly through the lifts. Sure, I've snatched the 24kg 98 times in 5min. I've done DBL TGUs w/ the 16kgs for a 5min interval. But do I own the techniques? No, I don't feel that I do.

    My plan of action begins next week w/ ETK : day 1 , week 1. KBS & TGUs are all that's prescribed. I will be swinging so much that I'll knock the paint off my house. My goal is to dissect each move until I feel I could teach it to anybody.

    Glad to hear you've got something brewing, and I'm honored that you want me to be a part of it. Oh yeah and I'm also realizing that "nice" only works for a while. "Cruel and evil"; I'm in.

    Thanks for the help and encouragement

    ReplyDelete