Monday, June 1, 2009

Rise of The Phoenix

I need to be reborn. It is time to set my past aflame like the plumage of the Phoenix as it's 1,000 year life cycle comes to an end in flames, to ashes, and rekindled anew.

I need to reevaluate my goals in regards to strength training, conditioning, and my career as a personal trainer.

I'm not ashamed to say that I had a "Why the hell am I doing this" moment today. I've been researching different ways of strength training, conditioning, and overall health for a while now.

While researching these different mode and methods, I realized that the traditional ways of working out were not for me. I desired something that was simple, yet it could replace a whole gym membership in one shot. Enter the kettlebell. (no pun intended...OK pun intended) The kettlebell is more than just a cannonball w/ a handle on it. It is a totally body strength and conditioning tool that will fit in the palm of your hand. Now, I have come to realize that it is so much more. The kettlebell is an art form. The kettlebell is a way of life. The kettlebell can save lives.

Are kettlebells the only solution to strength training, conditioning, and overall health? That depends on you, how committed you are to your goals, and how far you are willing to go to reach those goals. So yes it can be. For me, adding Olympic lifts, body weighted exercise, and non traditional modes like sandbags, tires, and sledgehammers made it all the more fun.

What I recently realized, is that I haven't devoted enough time to the both simple and complex kettlebell. Simple in it's design yet complex in it's implementations. I am a practitioner, an enthusiast, but I am , by no means, a master. I want to be a master.

I was recently inspired by a video I have saved on my YouTube subscriptions by Jordan Vezina RKC. If you need help on kettlebell training, watch his videos. Jordan has an amazing gift for breaking the movements down. I think he could teach my mastiff to do a Turkish Get Up if he wanted to.

"DO YOUR SWINGS AND YOUR GET UPS"

After watching this video, for a second time, I realized that I was not on a pathway to the "Elite."
I was going through the motions with no purpose other than improving my strength and conditioning for my career as a fire fighter.

Like the feathers of the Phoenix, my old workout were embedded in my arms, weighing me down, and keeping me anchored to the ground. Not anymore. Come Monday of next week I, the Phoenix, will rise from the ashes and embark on a quest to become an RKC.

No comments:

Post a Comment